Red card wipes smile from Cables faces

| September 9, 2012 | 0 Comments

James ‘Smiler’ Thomas is shown the way to the dressing rooms by ref Paul Marsden

James ‘Smiler’ Thomas went from hero to villain within the space of little more than sixty seconds at Valerie Park on Saturday as Cables crashed out of the FA Cup losing 3-1 to Ashton United.

A model footballer off the pitch, Thomas’ straight red for what referee Mr Paul Marsden attributed after the match to “violent conduct, head-butting an opponent” left Cables facing an uphill battle for the remainder of the match.

Only a minute before his sending off Thomas had scored an exquisite trademark free kick to reduce the arrears, but there was little sympathy for his indiscretion from manager Dave Powell.

“There was no need to get involved in something like that,” said Powell after the match.

He saved his harshest words though for the officials after seeing his side penalized for the second match in a row by harsh decisions.

“They spoilt what was turning out to be a top FA Cup match, the officials’ decisions have spoilt it,” said Powell.

“We got done by poor decisions on Tuesday and today we’ve had another red card for nothing.

“An elbow to the face gets no warning, no yellow, nothing – where’s the consistency?” asked Powell.

“The lads have battled hard but got nothing from it. They’re a good side but we’ve given them a run all the way. Even against ten men we still looked like scoring again.

“We’ve shown some good quality but we need to be little bit stronger defensively. We’ve conceded a couple of soft goals, there was no blocking off at the back post for the first goal, we didn’t switch on to it.

“And the second goal was the same but where was the free kick that led to it?” added Powell in another reference to the poor decisions.

The new Cables boss had been hoping for a change of fortune against the club he used to coach, despite the good start to the season the Robins have had.

But the Evo-Stik Premier Division side raced into an early lead when Arron Burns headed home in the tenth minute from a pinpoint cross by Matthew Kosylo that picked out the unmarked striker at the far post.

Seven minutes later Ashton increased the advantage when skipper Chris Lynch scored a second headed goal, this time from the free kick Powell disputed the validity of after the match.

After a bright and positive start Cables had a massive challenge ahead of them with less than a quarter of the match gone.

Powell’s side dug deep though and continued to match their high flying visitors in many departments, with James McCullloch, Ged Murphy and Jack Webb tireless in midfield.

After the break they got the reward they deserved for their endeavour.

Murphy was upended on the edge of the area and Thomas stepped up to launch the free kick past the wall and the flailing Terry Smith in the United goal to give his side a fighting chance of getting back on level terms.

The home side’s joy was short lived though as Thomas headed for an early shower moments later.

Despite the set back Cables continued to press hard for an equaliser and the chance of a second bite of the apple but were unable to find their way past a stubborn Robins defence.

Deep into injury time the visitors wrapped things up when substitute Ben Smith finished a good move although the scoreline slightly flattered given Cables’ grit and determination throughout.

Powell left “disappointed and frustrated” but can be confident the rub of the green will surely turn their way before too long.

Tags: ,

Category: News, Prescot Cables FC

Leave a Reply